Monday, July 15, 2013

Four Causes Of An Aching Back


Personal experience has acquainted me with this topic more than I'd have ever wished. My first episode of back pain occurred when I was only twenty. My lower back began to burn and hurt on one side. I had no knowledge of back problems or what caused them. I actually thought I was experiencing a kidney stone or something worse with my kidney. After all, the only thing I knew of in that part of the back was kidneys and I had a lot of localized pain right there and it made doing my job (a nighttime cleanup crew at Santa Clara's Great America theme park pulling around a firehose) impossible so I went to the company doctor, prepared for the prognosis on my kidney.

A strained back muscle. I had no clue, but that was to be my introduction to an adult life of chronic off again on again back pain. That was my youth. Now it's on and on intense- back strain is a management issue, especially as one ages.

Condition #1 Piriformis Syndrome

This syndrome is said to stem from what Chiropractors like to call muscle imbalance. Indeed, they have a point. If you've ever sprained or injured an ankle or leg and walked around with a limp for a few days, you may know the side effect of a very sore back as you start placing demand on the muscles to hold your body up at a new, unusual angle.

Muscle imbalance is said to pull your bones and joints out of balance. Chiropractors treat this by adjusting your spine back into position on the treatment table, from what I've heard, this treatment isn't always without a little force. I'm all about force- any time I can get a person in the 100-120 lb. range to take a walk on my back, I feel much better.

Condition #2 Herniated Disc

I have a sister with this problem and it can cause virtually crippling pain. The disc is the soft tissue between the spinal vertebrae. It can start to bulge, or herniate out from between the vertebrae, sometimes causing the same symptoms as Piriformis. Sometimes there are no symptoms, and sometimes symptoms are severe.

Condition #3 Spinal Stenosis

This condition is a narrowing of the space within the spinal canal. Obviously, if the nerves in the spine come in contact with bones or spurs, that's going to hurt. If you combine this condition with poor posture or alignment, the result can become much worse.

Condition #4 Isthmic Spondylolisthesis

This longest name describes something simpler than it's pronunciation- a vertebrae slips or moves. Again, symptoms range from none to severe.

All these conditions will be tempered by proper exercise, especially muscle toning exercises that strengthen the body core supporting muscles, this means stretches and abdominal strengthening exercises as well as walking and moderate weight training, all of which help support the spine and body in correct balance.

Of course, we live in a busy society, and the most well meaning of us fall behind in much needed but often neglected exercise. Then an episode can begin and once it starts, it's self propagating. Pain causes physical reactions and irritation of the injured area.

That's when increased rest, increased exercise and perhaps medical or chiropractic attention may serve you best in dealing with chronic back pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment